Thursday, February 6, 2014

Don't Be A Chicken

 "Don't Be a Chicken" by Binks and illustrated by Ruby Begonia is a story about a goose named Gander who grows up on a chicken farm. Aunt Sissy finds a large egg one day by a creek, so she takes it back to her chicken farm. Unbeknownst to Aunt Sissy and her hens things were about to change. The egg she found was not a chicken egg but a goose egg. As Gander grows his differences with the chickens becomes more apparent. Gander shakes things up around the coop. The chicken learn a few things from Gander, like not being afraid of trying new things.

I would definitely recommend this book for young readers. I think that it holds great life lessons. I would also use this book in my classroom. I find that it would be a great tool when learning about accepting your differences, understanding, and the willingness to try something new.

I found the illustrations to be soft, colorful, and very well done. I like that you can tell that they were hand done, they weren't too cartoonish. The soft blending of the colors of each illustration was beautiful. I was eager to get to the next page to see the next drawing.

Don't Be A Chicken

No comments:

Post a Comment